books highly recommended:
"Shopaholic Takes Manhattan" by Sophie Kinsella
"Abba's Child" by Brennan Manning
"To Own a Dragon" by Donald Miller
"The Great Divorce" by C.S. Lewis
yesterday i went to the library to look at the ever popular range of VHS movies (i walked away with "The Graduate," "Snow Falling on Cedars," and one of my favorites "Dead Poet's Society"). i then decided to mosey back to the english section and picked up three books, one of them being "Shopaholic Takes Manhattan." i read all 323 pages last night. a great, mindless read.
i'm going to a sufjan stevens concert november 12th!! i've never been to a "real" concert (cafe shows and carmen's 1989 "radically saved" tour don't count) and my prayer is that my good friend sufjan would enjoy the presence of a fellow american backstage. i'm quite excited - it will be a fun-filled night in the city (oslo) with friends and good music.
and the last little tidbit of news... i am taking a norwegian test on monday to see where i should be placed in a class. i'm quite scared. i've been here for two years (actually, only 16 months if i'm quite anal about it) and let's just say that i don't wow anyone with my communication skills. i've been taught and have taught that language should be first priority when going to a country and i have sadly pushed that in the back of my mind when i realized that most people speak english and realized how difficult it really is. it didn't help that one of the first phrases someone taught me was the equivalent to "i pooped my pants," telling me it meant "i am beautiful." i was later taught the F-bomb, thinking it was how to say "fantastic. oh well, i guess i have the next 9 months to redeem all that.
Saturday, August 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
You're going?
Alone, or with someone else from the base?
I am planning to go. Bought tickets yet?
i commend you with the language course. I tried that and didnt have time for it. But it's great if you can prioritize it. But I'm with you on the whole pushing the language thing aside- and now it's come to bite me in the butt:) hehe... but yeah- word of encouragement for you, you probably know much more than you think you do. I know for me after this summer I came back and all the sudden Im following full conversations and able to at least respond in english :) The speaking will come. BUt here's the encouragement part for the class and test thing- when I did it after a year in norway I ended up in the 'stupid group'... so I've gone before you and have already paved the way hehe... enjoy the concert too. see you soon
Hey;) How did your test go? I think you did well, because you are so smart;) Love you!
Ooh a test! I hope it goes well....and you know what...who cares if it doesn't I mean, you might like the slow class...teachers feel bad for you so they give you more snacks. I would if I taught a slow English class. But Norwegians are cold.....they might give you lutefisk. Mmmmm.
Ha Det Bra, min venn
Btown with Vickie...although mainly just in and out of my car...traveling from one place to the next. I hope to leave for CA within the next 2 month (at the latest). :)
by the way how did the test go? Did you manage? Oh and have fun in poland- the trip we never took. :)
Hey Carman does count, don't you be imagining yourselves something else...
-the only remaining Carman fan
Post a Comment